Alla Prima Portrait Painting
Learn how to make dynamic portrait paintings. Work from life in a small group with tuition. Suitable for all levels with materials provided.
The workshop will teach you a direct oil painting technique, also known as ‘Alla Prima’. This approach involves painting in one sitting, working wet into wet. It is perfect for making stand alone sketches, studies for studio portraits or simply portrait sketching for your own enjoyment.
You will work from a single long pose for three hours with the support of a tutor. The class size is small, allowing you to work towards your own personal goals whether you’re a complete beginner or an experienced artist looking to enhance your skills.
- How to paint a well structured head with accurately placed features
- Composition and lighting
- Planes of the head and tonal value
- Colour mixing and effective use your paint
- Creating focus through varied brushwork and selective rendering of detail
- Efficient use of time
- Direct oil painting techniques
There are currently no Alla Prima Portrait Workshops scheduled but I’ll be announcing more dates soon. You can subscribe below to to keep up to date about upcoming workshops.